Monday, May 2, 2011

Silver Platter Chalkboard

So I know this has been done a million times but I have been wanting one so bad. I made a little trip to my local thrift store and picked up this beautiful platter for $5! It is heavy (not dollar store material) but not true silver. I loved that is is tarnished because bright silver would not work in my kitchen. So I started with the tray and a can of chalkboard paint. I really wanted to paint along the scroll of the platter but after one attempt I knew I did not have the patience for it.
So I took some tape and just taped my area to be painted and got to work. The paint says to sand and prime your surface first but I didn't and haven't had any issues with it. I took two applications and it was done.
Look at the detail on the platter. I love it! I could not pass it up and don't think I could have gotten a better deal.
So this is a close up of the finished project. It has not found a permanent place in my kitchen so for now it is just leaning on the back splash. I want to find a nice black easel and put it on top of my refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment