Monday, August 1, 2011

New Chalkboards from Old Cabinet Doors

Have you ever been to ReStore?

Habitat’s ReStore resale outlets sell reusable and surplus building materials to the public While every ReStore outlet is a little different, most focus on home improvement goods like furniture, home accessories, building materials and appliances.

ReStore resale outlets accept donated goods which are sold to the general public at a fraction of the retail price. The proceeds help local Habitat affiliates fund the construction of Habitat homes within their communities.

Visit the website to see if there is a ReStore near you. 

I love going there to see what they have.  I am always looking for shutters when I go there but the lady that is always working tells me they go fast if they get any in.  So for now I know I can go there and get cabinet door fronts.  Lately I have been using them to make chalkboards.



 Clean them up a bit before you get started.


 Tape off the chalkboard area.  Apply a base coat of Kilz to the area you want to use as the frame.


Paint the frame the color you like.


I had to do several coats of red and only two coats of pink. I think I will spray paint the next one that I do.


Apply the chalk board paint, about two or three coats.


Embellish however you like.


This was part of the dessert table at Zac's party and I am excited to hang it in his room now. 
And the pink one is a late birthday gift for a niece.

Sondra

No comments:

Post a Comment